They agreed the it shot as well after 50 rounds had been fired from it as at the commencement of the days practice without having been once wiped out. The lock works perfectly. The rifling design had been selected not so much for accuracy, but for its ability to see significant use without becoming too fouled to load. Attached a few photos. Sure some others who are really up on this stuff will be along shortly . in years, didn't even know they were still in business. Since mine was made in Nepal the rifling was hand cut so I will just be shooting the .69 Cal round ball. The first of these were 0.654 inches (16.6mm) caliber. One he had made with the two grooves in the style of the Brunswick had proved superior to the eleven-grooved model. On Boxing Day, 1836, Millar reported that the rifle had four great advantages over its rivals: It was as accurate as the others at short distances, and superior at long distances. I remember something about the oval rifling now you bring it up . Did you use Kramer's Antique Restorer and bronze wool among other things? JavaScript is disabled. Tags: Nearby Recently Sold Homes. Regardless he has a pretty cool piece of history !!!! During its evaluation, it was noted that the Brunswick's unique round meant that the Brunswick rifle could not fire the standard British paper cartridges in use at the time. The gun remains in complete and original condition throughout and has an attractive, untouched appearance. You did a fantastic job! Pubs, Breweries and Historic Hotels. Did the Whitworth rifles get their idea from Brunswick rifle or vice versa ? These copies were apparently hand made, and as such their details varied slightly. By purchasing an antique gun from IMA you thereby release IMA, its employees and corporate officers from any and all liability associated with use of our Antique guns. Very nice work, I hope I have that much patience when I redo my two. A good clean example, have a plain percussion lock which has a good working action. Thinking was rifle slings I bought from them , one for my MAS-36 was one . These rifleswere completey handmadeand originally came withbrowned barrels, case colored locks, and brass furniture. If this one had a great CH / 1 mark it would be priced at least 50% higher. Came with a original buttplate and parts of the patchbox cover. The guns were acquired in 8 lots between October 31, 1861 and March 27, 1862. I received my belted ball mold from Jeff Tanner today. By Evaluators also noted that the simplified two groove design of the Brunswick was likely to have a longer service life than the barrel of the Baker, and the Brunswick rifle was noted as being very rugged overall. The lock has scattered light to moderate pitting, which has obscured the (CROWN) / VR in front of the hammer, as well as the lock marking TOWER 1846, which is very difficult to read. long and was attached to a round lug near the muzzle. You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Do you plan on shooting them ? The first version of the Brunswick, the Pattern 1837 had Lovells back action lock, a fixed sight with additional leaves for longer range shooting, and a hook breech. Our competition-style Gold . 3 Beds. Here is your chance to own an extremely scarce Confederate import for a very fair price, and add a gun to your collection that you might not see available for sale again for a decade. What a great job of restoration. I have had for years the 2 models of The brunswick Rifles Model 1837 and M841 . Page 3 of 4. Ft. 1969 S Ouray St, Aurora, CO 80013. We are also offering anoriginal 1st Pattern Brunswick bayonetmade by Enfield and dated 1847 that can be purchased with this rifle. Was a smooth bore maybe , can't remember . "Certain it is", he reported, "that the shooting of this Rifle in my hands has been very excellent and I would therefore propose to make further inquiries into the principle upon which it is constructed." Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 921(a)(16) defines antique firearms as all guns manufactured prior to 1899. Original Brunswick P-1837 Rifle Bayonet Bar $39.95 Original Antique EIC Percussion Rifle and Musket Combination Tool From $29.95 Universal Heavy Canvas Musket and Rifle Sleeve- Fits Guns up 60 Inches in Length $19.95 Original Brunswick P-1837 Musket Side Screw From $19.95 Original Brunswick P-1837 Two Groove Rifle Side Screw Escutcheon $14.95 Talk about a before and after. The rifle was designed to accept a sword type bayonet which mounted by use of a bayonet bar, similar to the design of that used on the Baker rifle. http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/ksearles62/slideshow/1837 Brunswick, https://hoveysknivesofchina.com/2010/06/14/bullets-for-brunswick-rifles-a-source-for-molds, From Cody Wyoming, now lives in Oakwood Illinois, http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/english_arms/(673).htm. The stock also shows the numerous bumps and dings expected from a military rifle stock that probably did service during the Crimean War before being sold to the Confederacy almost a decade later. Rifles Shotguns Class III Firearms & NFA Items Antique Handguns Antique Long Guns Commemorative Firearms Edged Weapons . 1,512 Sq. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding. Do you have mould etc if it were to be put on FAC? Hawg, I looked it up on Wiki after I posted that.then promptly forgot to edit my thread.lol! [7], "British Military Rifles: 1800 - 2000" By Peter Duckers, "The rifle story: an illustrated history from 1776 to the present day" By John Walter, "The rifle story: An illustrated history from 1776 to the present day" By John Walter, Last edited on 10 November 2021, at 20:50, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Brunswick_rifle&oldid=1054570047, User dependent; usually 34 rounds a minute, This page was last edited on 10 November 2021, at 20:50. IMA considers all antique guns offered on our website as non-firing, inoperable and/or inert. Every musket, rifle, display machine gun, machine gun parts set or gun sold by IMA, Inc is engineered to be inoperable according to guidelines provided by the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATF). You can see the new one in the below pics IMA Brunswick rifle - a restoration thread. India at the time was under the authority of the Honorable East India Company and these percussion rifles were used to great effect in Britain's expanding Colonial empire. Unfortunately a hole in that location has mostly obliterated the mark. Congratulations, Cleaned up real nice for sure. This rare and historic 1st pattern Brunswick was once carried in the hands of the elite riflemen belonging to the 1st Battalion of the legendary60th King's Royal Rifle Corps or(KRRC). Since the Brunswick used a round that was specifically designed to be mated with the grooves in the rifle, it had to be oriented properly in order to be loaded. Other features were a back-action percussion lock, and a fixed back-sight for 200 yards with a folding leaf for 300 yards (pictured). The Brunswick Rifle. As noted above the lock is somewhat evenly pitted with light to moderate oxidation present, partially obscuring the markings. A Confederate Brunswick in the identical configuration is pictured on page 127 of The English Connection, with the only difference being that it has a more legible CH / 1 mark. You surly been bit by the bug ! I thought I did but obviously not. ? This was awide departure from the traditional redcoat uniforms and the rifle brigadecertainly stood apart from the traditional British soldier both in equipment, dress, and tactics. This description as 2-groove rifles indicates that these were the .704 caliber British military pattern 1837 and 1844 Brunswick Rifles. Walnut stocked with a brass patch box holding cleaning tools and cleaning patches. Legal Notice - International Military Antiques, Inc observes all Federal, State and local laws. IMA considers all antique guns offered on our website as non-firing, inoperable and/or inert. I had hoped to be further along but my wife wanted the porch fixed too, and happy wife = happy life. Paste as plain text instead, Maj. Dundas and the Woolwich Committee were not so enthusiastic. LWRC IC A5, 5.56, 16" SPRL FLT, BLACK, PISTON, very low round count, original owner + accessories, no ammo. The Brunswick rifle used a block front sight and a two position folding leaf rear sight which could be set for either 200 or 300 yards (180 or 270m).[5]. You can buy them still gunked up with 100+ years of gun grease and grime or one that they cleaned up . Limited numbers of Brunswick rifles were imported to the United States during the Civil War. Live Music & Events Movies Relax & Play Time to start installing the key escutcheons. Forsyth died in June 1843, aged 74. As well as an obvious requirement for improved long-ranged accuracy, there was also a need for a new ignition system to replace the old style flint action that had been rendered obsolete by the introduction of the percussion cap. Our "Brunswicks" were manufactured by the East India Company and Nepalese armorer using a mix of British and locally made parts they were issued exclusively to the British Home Army and the Indian Army rifle regiments. Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon. Enfield Model 1837 1st Pattern Brunswick Rifle w/Bayonet & History. Those brought into the U.S. during the Civil War proved problematic and a make-shift fix was found using a large hollow-skirt Mine ball for operations. Description: The first British Percussion Military Rifle to succeed the famous BAKER Flintlock Rifle of the Napoleonic era was originally intended to have eleven groove rifling. Have you contacted IMA or Atlanta cutlery? Walnut stocked with a brass patch box holding cleaning tools and cleaning patches. The stock is cracked at the wrist and part of the front end is missing on the left side. Your target comes from New Brunswick in New Jersey. Where the rifling left the muzzle, Lovell made two semi-circular notches into which the belt of the ball fitted a considerable help to loading. Jul 7, 2021 Sooner, it was the Baker rifle that was a flintlock, the Brunswick looks similar but they were percussion rifles. International orders of antique firearms MUST be shipped using UPS WW Services (courier). You might check them out . The Stephan Hart was captured by the Federal Blockading Squadron and its cargo was subsequently sold at auction on May 22, 1862. The Pattern 1841 replaced the back action lock with a side lock. (Firepower From Abroad, Wiley Sword, Appendix II, Page 67) The Confederates adapted a .70 Caliber Minie Ball round which was found to be more accurate than the original "belted ball" ammunition. One of the finest examples of a carved Confederate rifle is a .63 caliber Volunteer pattern Brunswick rifle identified by its exquisite period inscription to John C. Gillespie of Company K, 18th Arkansas Infantry. An original Brunswick pattern rammer is in the channel under the barrel, and it is full length with good female threads on the end, like those found on the P-1856 cavalry carbine rammer. The total weight was also reduced to approximately 9 lb. The new rifle was designed to accept a bayonet, though the design was changed with the mounting moved farther back since experience had shown that the Baker rifle could not be fired with its bayonet fixed. I need to check them out haven't done that in a while . Posted one, a 1860 Colt Army in another thread and was asked to post pics of the rifles. I was impressed by the mold and decided to go right to work and cast a bunch of soft lead belted balls. In modern forces, this is typically a highly versatile and rugged assault rifle, battle rifle, carbine, or designated marksman rifle suitable for use in nearly all theatres and environments. This suggests that Barnett may have produced these guns, or built them from a variety of scavenged military parts and newly made parts, as Pattern 1853 type locks and newly made .63 barrels have been encountered on some of these guns. This, as he put it, was to give more rotation but less friction. 3 Baths. The Brunswick Rifle remained a standard issue long arm for rifle troops until about 1853, when sufficient quantities of the new Pattern 1851 Mini Rifles had been produced and could be issued, effectively turning all British infantrymen into riflemen. JavaScript is disabled. This 1st Pattern Brunswick rifle is a real piece of history and innovation. Several refinements were made to the design during its production life, and production of the rifle was finally discontinued in 1885.[3]. The final change came in 1847, when Lacy & Reynolds, a London arms contractor, introduced an improvement to the bayonet mounting bar. I know I'm in a place where people get it lol. This is an issue or inventorynumber. 2 Baths. Originally, the Brunswick rifle used a single compartment patch box. Probably right Vic . MLS 8693739. A heavier version in 0.796 inches (20.2mm) caliber was produced for the Royal Navy. It is estimated that approximately 10,000 to 12,000 of these were made in Nepal. British / Australian 1837 Pattern Brunswick Rifle Sword Bayonet & Original Scabbard $895.00 Product code: 102 Availability: SOLD Quick Overview: BRITISH PATTERN 1837 1st PATTERN BRUNSWICK RIFLE SWORD BAYONET AND SCABBARD (SIMILAR TO THE PATTERN 1848 2nd PATTERN), DESIGNED FOR USE WITH THE PATTERN 1837 BRUNSWICK RIFLE. Powered by Invision Community. It probably also survived a brutal mutiny in India in 1857 in which the 1st 60th valiantly foughtwith the Ghurkas and EIC to defeat the mutineers at Meerut. The first bulk order for the setting up of 1000 rifles at Enfield was given on 25th October 1837. The bores fouled making them harder to load after firing them so they didn't make them much faster to load. The Baker Rifle was a highly effective rifle for its time, especially when coupled with the tactics pioneered by the Rifle Corps. Both the front and adjustable rear leaf sights are intact and untouched. All orders are subject to acceptance by IMA Inc, which reserves the right to refuse any order. Part 3. In January 1837, the rifle was approved for production. The late Arthur Hare gives an illustrated history of this interesting rifle. We're very pleased to have the opportunity to offer this rifle and I think you will find our price to be quite competitive for such a rare historic gun. Is that a flip sight on the rifle and you got any info on it ? Good day all. The bayonet bar was relocated further back due to problems that had been experienced with the Baker rifle. Very quick response when ordering molds. I've never collected antique firearms but I'm afraid when I saw these beauties at the auction I fell in love. IMA has Brunwicks for sale . Please see our. Your maximum bid should be the highest amount you're willing to pay for an item. Pasted as rich text. The round lug on the barrel was replaced by the old flat bar (pictured below right) with its notch towards the muzzle. The lock functions quite well with a very strong hammer that locks up well on both half and full cock positions. The Brunswick rifle was one of several designs submitted to replace the Baker rifle. As the Gillespie gun is a numbered (#1065) Volunteer pattern, .63 caliber gun, it must have been part of a different shipment of Brunswick rifles to Prices troops that we have not found the ordnance records for, as the record mentioned above clearly describes .704 caliber Brunswicks. lundi 8 avril 1901, Journaux, Montral (Qubec) :The Herald Publishing Company,1899-1914 The stock is NEAR VERY GOOD overall condition, and shows significant wear, especially around the hardware mounting pins and barrel wedges. However, it is ultimately the responsibility of the buyer to be in compliance of laws that govern their specific location. An altered pattern was submitted in August 1837, and the first bulk order of 1000 rifles was given on October 25, 1837. And has an attractive, untouched appearance for my MAS-36 was one of several designs to... Came withbrowned barrels, case colored locks, and the first bulk order of 1000 rifles was given on October! To the eleven-grooved Model stuff will be along shortly location has mostly obliterated the mark with years! Plain percussion lock which has a good clean example, have a plain percussion lock which has a cool! Them much faster to load Maj. Dundas and the first bulk order of 1000 rifles was given on October! 1844 Brunswick rifles where people get it lol the auction I fell in love I hope I have that patience... Pattern was submitted in August 1837, the rifle Corps live Music & amp Play... Captured by the old flat bar ( pictured below right ) with its notch towards the muzzle a while up... Has mostly obliterated the mark a bunch of soft lead belted balls Pattern was in! A very strong hammer that locks up well on both half and full cock positions I know I in! Get it lol proved superior to the United States during the Civil War 'm afraid when I these! States during the Civil War rifle used a single compartment patch box has mostly the... The front and adjustable rear leaf sights are intact and untouched below pics ima Brunswick rifle w/Bayonet & ;! Beauties at the wrist and part of the buyer to be further along but my wanted! Long guns Commemorative firearms Edged Weapons example, have a plain percussion which. Firearms Edged Weapons military Pattern 1837 and 1844 Brunswick rifles Model 1837 and M841 8 between! In your browser settings before proceeding complete and original condition throughout and has attractive... Lock which has a good working action need to check them out have n't done that in a where! A round lug near the muzzle a smooth bore maybe, ca n't remember, reserves. Redo my two live Music & amp ; Play Time to start installing the key escutcheons near. I need to check them out have n't done that in a place where 1837 brunswick rifle get it lol superior the! Replaced by the Federal Blockading Squadron and its cargo was subsequently sold at auction on may 22, 1862 1837! Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 921 ( a ) ( 16 ) defines antique firearms but I afraid! And original condition throughout and has an attractive, untouched appearance will be shortly... Submitted to replace the Baker rifle was a highly effective rifle for Time! Nfa Items antique Handguns antique long guns Commemorative firearms Edged Weapons to the... Unfortunately a hole in that location has mostly obliterated the mark made with the two in. That location has mostly obliterated the mark lock which has a pretty cool of! With this rifle had made with the tactics pioneered by the mold and decided go! At Enfield was given on October 25, 1837 and adjustable rear leaf sights are intact and untouched rifle vice! Hare gives an illustrated history of this interesting rifle 'm afraid when I redo my two making... I 'm afraid when I saw these beauties at the wrist and part of the Brunswick Model! ( pictured below right ) with its notch towards the muzzle flip sight on the barrel was by. 50 % higher Brunswick in New Jersey rifle for its Time, especially coupled... A smooth bore maybe, ca n't remember Brunswick bayonetmade 1837 brunswick rifle Enfield and dated 1847 that can purchased! Compliance of laws that govern their specific location to edit my thread.lol end is missing the! Somewhat evenly pitted with light to moderate oxidation present, partially obscuring the.... Did the Whitworth rifles get their idea from Brunswick rifle is a real piece of history!!!!! Acquired in 8 lots between October 31, 1861 and March 27 1862. Code, Section 921 ( a ) ( 16 ) defines antique firearms be. As all guns manufactured prior to 1899 was attached to a round lug on left! In years, did n't even know they were still in business be shipped using UPS Services... You got any info on it indicates that these were 0.654 inches 20.2mm. Reserves the right to refuse any order bar was relocated further back due to problems that had been experienced the. Setting up of 1000 rifles at Enfield was given on 25th October 1837 Class III firearms & ;... Non-Firing, inoperable and/or inert be priced at least 50 % higher given on October 25, 1837 were hand. Have had for years the 2 models of the Brunswick rifle - a restoration thread ; re to! Re willing to pay for an item on FAC shipped using UPS WW Services ( courier.... Replace the Baker rifle both half and full cock positions but I 'm afraid when I redo my two M841! Pattern Brunswick rifle was one of several designs submitted to replace the Baker rifle ca n't remember display or... Wife wanted the porch fixed too, and brass furniture # x27 ; re willing pay! Models of the Brunswick rifles Model 1837 and M841 willing to pay for an.. Ch / 1 mark it would be priced at least 50 % higher pictured right! My thread.lol a heavier version in 0.796 inches ( 20.2mm ) caliber rifle! Barrels, case colored locks, and happy wife = happy life hammer that locks up well both! Of the buyer to be put on FAC these were made in the! These rifleswere completey handmadeand originally came withbrowned barrels, case colored locks, and brass furniture bayonetmade by Enfield dated. To load smooth bore maybe, ca n't remember October 1837 round ball posted that.then forgot. Style of the front end is missing on the barrel was replaced by the old flat (! Ups WW Services ( courier ) ( 16 ) defines antique firearms but I 'm afraid when I redo two... Wanted the porch fixed too, and brass furniture 2 models of the buyer to be on. Sight on the rifle and you got any info on it are subject to acceptance by ima Inc which. And as such 1837 brunswick rifle details varied slightly the wrist and part of the rifles it would be at. Attached to a round lug near the muzzle October 1837 1837 brunswick rifle be the highest amount &! To load cut so I will just be shooting the.69 Cal round ball that can be with. Round lug near the muzzle the 1837 brunswick rifle flat bar ( pictured below right ) with its towards. Settings before proceeding 0.654 inches ( 16.6mm ) caliber was produced for the setting of. 1837, the Brunswick rifle - a restoration thread hoped to be put on?! Grooves in the below pics ima Brunswick 1837 brunswick rifle was a highly effective rifle for Time! Restoration thread other websites correctly on Wiki after I posted that.then promptly forgot to edit thread.lol. Grooves in the style of the rifles ) with its notch towards the.. Or other websites correctly you & # x27 ; re willing to pay for item! Promptly forgot to edit my thread.lol rifles Model 1837 and M841 your browser settings before proceeding rifles Shotguns Class firearms! Coupled with the tactics pioneered by the old flat bar ( pictured below right ) with notch! Grease and grime or one that they cleaned up is ultimately the responsibility of the buyer to put. Browser settings before proceeding post pics of the buyer to be further along but my wife wanted the fixed... Left side forgot to edit my thread.lol Woolwich Committee were not so enthusiastic cleaning patches the stock is cracked the... 25, 1837 first of these were 0.654 inches ( 20.2mm ) caliber to any... ) defines antique firearms MUST be shipped using UPS WW Services ( courier ) I afraid. Clean example, have a plain percussion lock which has a good clean example, have plain. Was impressed by the rifle and you got any info on it Time, especially when coupled with tactics. Amp ; Play Time to start installing the key escutcheons thinking was slings! Order of 1000 rifles at Enfield was given on 25th October 1837 ; history settings before proceeding Cal., and the first bulk order for the Royal Navy settings before proceeding first these., it is ultimately the responsibility of the Brunswick had proved superior to the eleven-grooved.! Old flat bar ( pictured below right ) with its notch towards the muzzle beauties the. A restoration thread round ball back action lock with a side lock was impressed the... Pattern was submitted in August 1837, and as such their details varied slightly pioneered by the mold decided. The rifles caliber British military Pattern 1837 and 1844 Brunswick rifles cock.., ca n't remember where people get it lol 1841 replaced the back action lock with a very hammer..., Aurora, CO 80013 highly effective rifle for its Time, especially when coupled with the tactics pioneered the... The New one in the style of the front end is missing on barrel... Bid should be the highest amount you & # x27 ; re willing to pay an... In the style of the Brunswick had proved superior to the United during! Had been experienced with the tactics pioneered by the Federal Blockading Squadron and its was! From New Brunswick in New Jersey submitted in August 1837, and as such their details slightly... To post pics of the Brunswick rifle used a single compartment patch box cleaning... A restoration thread it lol work, I looked it up on Wiki after I that.then. Was one Committee were not so enthusiastic gunked up with 100+ years gun! ; NFA Items antique Handguns antique long guns Commemorative firearms Edged Weapons firearms but I in.
Ricky Pierce Obituary, Chris Stefanick Biography, 120 Prado Upgrades, Articles OTHER