0.120 I have modified these tapers to adjust them for what I think is a more modern feel. (Tim Pembroke). (Harry Boyd), In Dickerson-speak, does a 7613 have a 14 on the butt to 13 on the tip or a 13 on the butt to 12 on the tip stepdown? Summers & Co. - Womens Sports ApparelBob with Granddaughter Cara FlyfishingGreat Brown, Rainbow and Cutthroat Fly FishingOutdoor Writer and Used Book SalesFishing and Wing Shooting Guide ServiceGreat Lakes Charter FishingSporting JewlerCustom GunsmithingFine Hand EngravingFine Reel & Rod Cases, 90 River Road, EastTraverse City, Michigan 49696 USAPhone/Fax (231) [email protected], 2222 - 7. I've cast the original and it is one strong casting rod and deserving of the Guide Special nomenclature. It didn't make since to me but went ahead and planed the butt section the way it was listed. Powered by Shopify. In fact, I use the 7613 that I made a lot of the time, even while Hex fishing last week on the Manistee! Easy casting and very versatile. One of our longstanding rod models with classic cane color and a slightly more moderate action. As good a seven and a half foot 3-piece rod taper as any ever designed. Gary - The following taper was taken from a varnished 8013. Could this be the difference between an 861711D and an 861711? The part of the ferrule that fits on the bamboo on the female side (butt side) had an inside diameter (ID) of .221", or 14/64. It made a fine rod, but you have to smooth out the taper leading into and out of the 45 and 50" stations as the rod was designed for a step down ferrule. The trouble is, that's all it does! 10 .310 .159 Just like the makers of Ping golf clubs, who ban their retailers from selling on the internet, I do not see how it is possible to make a rod for someone without the presence of that person for a considerable time on a casting court. (Peter Jones), If you "Put some cane back" in the bottom eighteen inches or so of the top joint you will have removed most of my objections. Yes you do have the seemingly limitless variation of moving the point or points and amount of material added or removed along the rod length. Deduct 0.006 from butt, 0.004 from tip. I own a Thramer 6611 and 7012 HB tapers, both with Thramer cosmetics and they are both awesome rods. (Paul Blakley), I have a taper for the Dickerson 7613 and am a little confused. For example, the 8013 taper I use is .202 at the ferrule end of the tip, and .212 at the ferrule end of the butt. 0.334 All tapers are based solely or partially on the combinations of these basic deviations from the SLT. Interesting thoughts on line weight and the first 20", I will have to roll that one around in my head for awhile. Now you have a rod in the length, line weight and number of section you want. I've also made an 8-1/2' with tip dimension of .072, which made a really nice 6/7 weight. Tom Smithwick. As Lou points out, it is nicest with the kind of ferrule Dickerson made himself. The taper is designed for trout fishing. (Will Price), You can adapt the taper that calls for a step down by putting a slight swell at the male ferrule end of the taper so that a super Z or super Swiss ferrule will work properly. 0.088 5 wt 0.0720 Here are the numbers someone else posted earlier this year for the Dickerson 8014 GS. The second you deviate from a straight line, no matter how you want to describe it, the fact that there was a straight line is irrelevant. Contact us to learn more about how we can help! As you got more line out the rod would flex deeper into the shaft. I like Dickerson's fast action, but I have not had a chance to try every rod Jim Payne made. . That's like saying that only the 49ers could find gold. It also is fine on smaller streams. It's all pulled through by hand. Overhanging trees? (Bob Norwood). Of course a SLT is never a SLT unless it's a one piece no Varnish & Guides rod, once we add things we change the effective taper. (Mark Wendt), I checked the several places that I usually look for tapers and they all had the swell starting at 80". The long column to the right of that is what we think the raw cane would have measured, subtracting for varnish, and interpolating between our measurements so as to put everything back on 5-inch stations. Powell Rods. In the upper left corner, in blue, you'll see the real measurements we took, for all 3 flats at each measurement point. I have been gobs smacked many times when the customer turns around and says I like this one. Made 4 or 5 of the lighter. 40 0.180 146694 If you want to make one as a sort of standard then try a rate of taper of 13.5 thousandths per station, it gives a Gould rating of 270 which is a useful point about which to have a conversation with yourself about what you think is medium fast and what you think is fast. (four piece) carbon fiber fly rod blank (NOW IN A GLOSSY DARK GREEN) $70.00 9' 6" 5wt. Chris acquired one shortly thereafter. "God made dogs to steal our hearts and they do.". While I have never cast an original (I think only a few were ever made by Mr. Dickerson) I have made a 4-5. I'll give you a bit of background on the question. Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods. Bill said that the book he has written on the subject is going to the printers and should be out soon.. (No financial interest.) What you have done is show the slope to the tip to butt. I have made quite a few Dickerson tapers. (Robin Haywood), I find this a very interesting. The Garrison tip would be .078, B-9 tip would be .059, and a fast .018/5" drop a tip of .035. An awful lot of fudging, especially as he could have made up tip rings quite easily. Lyle Dickerson (Michigan) 6-strip Tonkin bamboo Dickerson was a self-taught rodmaker who designed his own rod-milling and planing equipment. bamboo fly rod blank (two-piece single tip) - Proof Fly Fishing 6'6" 2wt. by cwood 05/08/09 02:51, Post CSE makes and sells this kind of "step-down" ferrule, from tubing, as Dickerson did. It's the important half, too, the other one is less important than line weight, I refer you to the basic laws of aerodynamics, this post is already too long! To my knowledge there are at least 3 versions of the 7613 out there. Looking at the 5" dimensions for the Dickerson 7613 (1970 taper), there is a big swell under the grip. For anyone who hasn't done so, it is a really simple and useful exercise to combine tapers for rods of the same length and line weight in a spreadsheet such as excel and make a line chart of them. I noticed a couple of versions of this taper where the swell was moved out in front of the grip but all of the original 1970 versions show it differently. 0.275 He was known for using only one or two strips from a culm, a time-consuming and expensive way to build rods. (Will McMurrey). I have been working with Bob Norwood's taper program, using it to derive a basic set of reference tapers. The butts are just not stiff enough, although, in some, the tips are quite satisfactory. As Stephen points out if you can cast the rods then graph them out you really start to understand how it all comes together. The stepdown in the female is from a 14/64 ID where the ferrule goes over the bamboo to 12/64 ID where it accepts the male slide. 6 wt 0.0752 (Rich Jezioro). The taper I used was from "The Lovely Reed." Line Size Tip Size But you also have the opportunity to add or remove material any ware alone the length of that rod and doing so will have an taper specific effect on the casting/fishing characteristics of the rod. Very smooth and plenty of power for a 5 wt should you need it. I would say it's a strong 7 wt, but it should work well with a 8 WF. The other issue is mandrels and they just don't come in 1/128 sizes. Consider one or the other of these two if your rod maker intends to fit the rod with step down ferrules, since there is a .010" step down across the ferrule stations. If you are building in the drop at the ferule that Dickerson used, you will usually end up using a size larger ferrule than you'd normally think. Another maker who knows Dickerson tapers very well is Rick Cunningham. Stress curves are the only tool I have seen that give you a visual image of exactly what you have changed and the consequences of that action. by trouttrapper 06/12/16 09:32, Post 0.111 0.196 But I imagine that high output builders didn't have every rod turn out the same for whatever reason. Measure over original varnish. I am sure that the step-downs are important in copying the taper design exactly. As for roll casting, the only person I know who documented his thoughts was Wayne Cattanach.. As long as a maker includes the correct ferrule drop, Dickerson tapers are no more difficult to make than most others. 40 0.184 The best reason that I can give you as to why Dickersons are popular tapers (Along with another Michigan maker Paul Young) is that they are nice casting rods and fit our fishing very well. This means that the finished rod will cast like a ONE PIECE SLT rod. They are very nice 5 weights ( IMHO it is THE 8 5 wt). From 80 to 85, there is an increase of ~.070. That has compensation for the ferrule and the Varnish & Guides. November - May (Jerry Foster), For some applications, like fishing dries from a drifting boat, it could be even a bit short. Made 2 of the heavier one. (Jerry Foster), Where do you get that? Since the time he was with the Deschutes Rod Co. in Seattle he has built rods with Dickerson tapers. 65 0.2565 a 3 1/2 wt - were that possible. Suggest that you subtract .006 for varnish. Regarding the similarities and differences between the 7'6" and 8' Dickerson's. A longer rod would help with the line control, but the drifts tend to be fairly short to rising fish. How would you characterize their casting characteristics? I beef up the last 3 inches of the tip to fit the 14/64 male ferrule. You can built say a 5wt using a 13/64 ferrule and any of these slopes, and they'll all be 5 weights, but if you do the math you'll see that the tip dimensions would vary greatly. All of these factors when considered together give a better picture of the rod than any one does in isolation. 8ft #5wt. Can't remember which is which without looking in the book, but one is lighter than the other. by Morten 05/26/17 03:35, Post OK, the rod was a Paul Young Perfectionist. . It is, literally, the shape of the rod itself and determines how . This rod consists of medium tempered cane constructed in a 3x3 node pattern with Dickerson tan wraps and black tipping. Don't leave us hangin' here with a sniper shot and leave ;-) (Mark Wendt), Truth be known, I prefer Payne to Dickerson. 85 0.3145 (Tom Smithwick), See what Steve says, lots of people (Americans ? (Inches) (Inches) Stress There are several different specs for this taper out there, three of which I use. Jim P. you have some great choices there. I'm off to the antipodes next year, and I'm hoping that the 7'6'' #5 that should be a #4 will go with me. Just give John a call and talk to him very nice guy with a lot of knowledge in Dickerson tapers. in practice however, there is little point in going below 7'6'', really. For my money I can think of a couple of rods I like better than anything Dickerson made. I fail to see anything in the manor of specifications for your making a point that you feel there is a difference between the two, in fact I would like to show you that they are, under the right conditions, EXACTLY THE SAME. I only use short rods on overgrown streams. (Peter Jones) Reducing material in the butt section will make the butt more limber and allow flex deeper into the butt. Just a topic to ponder on these slow summer days. On the other hand, Dickerson was designing rods (most likely) for Michigan waters. I will suggest that rodmakers as a whole are not (especially the "classics" who were trying to make a living by banging out rods), but also that minor variances of a few thousandths occurring at random do not have a large impact on the rod actions as a whole. 10 .112 .262 In the original Ritz conception the rod, or the taper, was the tip. 10 .110 .254 It throws up some very interesting facts. This should cause some debate as a lot of our American cousins rave about this wimpy stick? (Stephen Dugmore). by oldfishbrain 06/19/16 10:39, Post The 7613 Golden Witch version, a 6 wt, has a somewhat softer tip than the 8013 getting stronger toward the lower tip. These are Bob's dimensions. However many people may like them, does this mean they cannot be improved on? I understand your point, but you can see it is an arbitrary line in the sand. I can add that there is not one single straight line taper for each line weight. So far all those posted were missing the 1st station on the butt section. Users can select the appropriate Morgan Handmill Cutter to match the geometry including both the 60.5 and 61.5 degree cutters for hex rods. Just looking for a taper that accommodates the step down ferrule nicely. Casting 20 feet of 5wt line the stress curve is flat. Lyle Dickerson (Michigan) 0.350 It seems that a Garrison-type taper with a straight, flat stress curve would be the most likely to be tolerable. The tip tapers are the only redeeming feature of his designs, and now you tell me they were not deliberate, I'll burn my copy of "The Book" immediately, at least I shall be spared tolerating toadying references to "Garry" when ever (very seldom, in fact) I refer to it! So the data exists both ways in the spreadsheet. (Will Price). faster tapers. Tell me about it please. The point here being, if we can define areas along the straight line or linier taper. (Will McMurrey), Just very briefly, a Castle Connell taper is a good example, where you have a curious reverse taper in the upper part of the lower half of the rod. 0 0.068 DICKERSON 8013 RBS Special - 8' 2/2 - 5wt- honey colored - the legendary 8013 Special is an impressive and powerful med/fast action all-round trout -- taper miked from a Ray Bergman original shop rod. I highly recommend him. The American Museum of Fly Fishing Collection Gift of . The thickness of varnish of course was just our guess. 13/12. I would agree that one system is not all encompassing and I agree with the selection of evaluating criteria you outlined. Brewer Rods These rods use tried and true taper designs as a starting point. 0.144 Bamboo fly rod Dickerson 7012 taper 7ft 4wt 2/2. Should be a very nice rod, good Taper. My vote goes to L.C. Pezon/Michel. Perhaps you can see why I think that a 1500 cane rod may be a bargain! 0.320 by mosquito 05/08/09 09:33, Post Measured over varnish. They were both practicing engineers! anyway that's how I do it. 20 .143 .292 The ordeal with the broken rod changed my whole way of looking at ferrule sizes. I've built this one which was posted to the rodmaker's listserv years ago. 20 0.126 Hi Guys, Also, some of those Heddons would have had pins through the tab area causing, in my view, problems. Bob through extensive research determined the tip dimensions for specific line weights and then calculated SLT for each. Dickerson Rods. I assume that he extrapolated those measurements. The action, for those who are more familiar fishing graphite rods, is quite easy to get used to. Part of the midwestcadre of noted builders, he built rods from the 1930's onward and was especially known for his fast two-piece rods. The '51 is a bit softer. 15 .128 .274 I have a chart of the dimensions at home, if you need a copy email me off list. These get assimilated quite directly into stress curve approach. (Paul Blakley). (Robin Haywood). 42 .194 .066 (Max Satoh), Yep, the drop at the ferrule is .014 which should call for the use of a step down. 45 0.186 158623 30 0.151 166917 Solid construction of suitable solidity involved unattractive weight penalties. The Paul Young Perfectionist. This is a set of 13-14/64 step down ferrules. The other point is that in the case of, for want of a better word, 'non-extreme' rods, I believe that what happens in the top 20" is the primary determinant of the line weight. I've fished mine from a drift boat on the Green river and had great success. Pickard makes nice rods for sure. The stepped down portion of the male is 2/64's smaller than the sleeve. Ten measurements on the butt and ten stations on the tip. The slope of the taper of this rod is .014/5" or a B-8.4 (taking the average drop from 80" thru 0"). Lyle Dickerson tapered copies Lyle Dickerson (1892-1981) has long been known as a pioneer in rodbuilding, due partly to his use of machinery in production but primarily appreciated by fishermen for many of his fast and accurate taper designs. Jim Schaaf. Find great quality fly fishing rods at an affordable price that fits any budget. Cross Rods. The Lovely Reed by Jack Howell has numbers for the 1949 and 1951 versions. I am sure there are situations where a bit more length would be helpful, but who am I to argue with Mr. Dickerson? by canerodscom 05/09/09 02:32, Post Consider this one if your maker plans on using Super Z ferrules. I have built Russ' version, which I believe was posted yesterday, and I love it. They did not understand that a slow taper pole will bend near the point of grip under stress, whereas a fast taper will bend increasingly towards the tip as the rate of taper increases. If you are looking for a Dickerson rod or have one that you would like to sell please contact us. 0.248 I'm probably going to have to find a use for one as it happens as a design for a 7'6'' #4 that is nearing ringing looks a bit beefy for a #4. Anyway, far too few people concern themselves over what should be the staple obsession of every rodmaker-design. (Robin Haywood). 40 .200 .070 Can someone explain what this means and what number should I use. 0.232 I think the 8014GS is up to the task. I believe he told me he placed his roll casting hinge 10"-15" above the handle, depending on rod length. Thanks. You can design a flyrod, racing bicycle, airplane or motorcar to do one thing superbly with ease. There are many ways to skin this cat. Quite a disparity. This is, of course, wildly unsatisfactory, but all attempts to reduce the problem seem to last for only a short time. I have not tried it with an 8 weight but I will as soon as I get back from Texas, ya'll. by slate river 05/10/09 16:30, Powered by phpBB Forum Software phpBB Limited. Sorry! What species do fish for with your bamboo rods? The guy turns out to be a top casting instructor. 2 piece. Obviously, custom tapers take a little longer to develop and build. I thought it was in there, but I didn't have the link, and the CD I got from Lowell is at home. (Jerry Foster). The idea is that the butt must not bend, and when it does its only at the very end, if it bends further down then the height of the line above the ground is dramatically reduced and thus fully one half of the "High speed high line" proposition is not met. There are two Perfectionists on Hexrod. 0.138 Stress curves are an integral part of this process and have to be evaluated. In fact, as the requirements of a stream rod are very simple, this is what we do. The difference is for a step-down ferrule. ChristmasMissives - ChatRoom - PhotoGalleries - LineConversions - TheJourney - ExtremeRodmaking - Rodmaker'sPictures - Donate - Store. However if we can define specific regions (tip, middle, butt) and understand the effect of removing or adding material in these areas. They were severely inhibited by several difficulties. Conversely, the .202 is at the low end of fit for a 14/64. So I thought I would answer that question and build one. 45 .212 under reel seat, The numbers listed below are from Banjos' rod, 0 .084 .238 I will be bringing it to Korea next trip to go for trout here in the eastern mountains. Pt 0 is the butt side of the strips. (Will Price), You can adapt the taper that calls for a step down by putting a slight swell at the male ferrule end of the taper so that a super Z or super Swiss ferrule will work properly. The line was a Scientific Angler's WF7 in their XXD (distance) format. No Question about it, John Pickard. Good question and I will tell you as soon as I finish my 5wt SLT. The only question that puzzles me is why on earth he thought this might be important for fishing the Risle, which is hardly the Tay. (Greg Reeves), Something ain't quite right there. Howell says "they are just different" in his book, but I am looking for something bit more specific. Welcome to the Taper Archives; The data on this page reflects the work of generations of dedicated rodmakers. I think I originally posted this taper as Russ personally sent it to me. Unknown, so I would hesitate to speculate. How would this feel? Made several of them. 35 .186 .326 0.232 Edwards Edwards #25 Quad - 7ft 4wt light tip The same can be said for the EC Powell taper in Hexrod (the 7'6" 2pc 6wt in the archives) which IS A B-9 TAPER; just look at the average slope from stations from the 80" mark thru 0". (Will Price), Dickerson standardized his reel seats with a 3/8's inside diameter bore, hence the .375 under the grip and reel seat. Fly Fishing Supplies & Gear. First found in the United States in 2014 in southeastern Pennsylvania, spotted lanternfly has spread rapidly through the eastern states. Dickerson 8014 Fred Bears Rod, 2606 -1. A Lyle Dickerson model 8014 bamboo fly rod, 8', 2-piece, 3-tip, and built for a #6 line. the mid is 42' and the closest measurements are 40" and 45" SO 2/5THS THE DIFFERENCE WILL BE BETWEEN 40 AND 42 AND 3/5THS THE DIFFERENCE WILL BE BETWEEN 42 AND 45th. Crisp, strong, smooth, versatile. (There is a table of blue numbers for each rod section). 2 wt 0.0585 Grayrock 96. Any rod with a straight taper under load will feel to a greater or lesser extent, unnecessarily heavy in the tip and too soft in the butt. Hence the short butt long tip "BSAS" conformation of some of the better iterations. In case you didn't get the taper before, here it is: 0.066 Part of the midwest cadre of noted builders, he built rods from the 1930's onward and was especially known for his fast two-piece rods. (Steve Weiss), That opens up another question. The tips look essentially the same. The stepdown in the male is from a 14/64 ID where the ferrule initially goes over the bamboo and steps down to 12/64 ID for the bamboo inside of the male slide. He was known for using only one or two strips from a culm, a time-consuming and expensive way to build rods. The mid sections are very different. Can do a little better some days, but not always. (Nick Nasello), I made the Dickerson 8615 last year for lake bass and liked it but it does get to be a bit if a bear to cast after about 3 hours. It's why I'm fussy about ring weight on the tips of rods below #6. Short cased and portable. double taper silk lines at short ranges. We are typically roll casting about five yards of line at very small fish, so all things can be subjugate to that. Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.. Photos, paintings, written stories and talents. 45 0.1985 The 8013 is an 8' 0", 2/2, 5wt., 4.35 oz. I could probably improve just by buying a new cheap file.. Forgot to mention before, Rich Jezioro is taking a set of 11-12/64 ferrules to Grayling for the silent auction for me, so if anybody's interested you can see them there if you're attending. Or, if these are not good tapers for this, any suggestions as to which tapers would be? Consider this, the aspect of looking at tapers as deviations from straight lines is most valid when you are designing from numbers and not from stress or deflection. Can someone email me the taper or point me in the right direction? 20 .245 .130 by dkrismer 06/12/16 20:36, Post I really must stir myself to come and fish them, it's time that's the enemy. I want to build a rod that does what a Dickerson 7613 does when casting and fished. (Lee Koch), I primarily use RodDNA for my taper selection. I have just finished reading your post regarding Straight Line Tapers and Straight horizontal Stress Curves and I must say that you as well as robin really do need a refresher course in Stress Curves. by Morten 06/12/16 08:37, Post Digger Digere. (Paul Blakley), I think a 7'6'' rod is short for any line weight. . And you are of course correct in pointing out that stress numbers means nothing without the particulars of the line weight and length. Inevitably, if part of the strain is caused by rings ferrules and varnish, as it must be, then its resultant effect will detract from the weight of line that rod will cast. In the hands of a good caster, this taper will make a fly line do things that amaze. It was normal at the time to fit ferrules to the tip and undercut the butt to fit. (Gordon Koppin), If I might ask: Which Perfectionist taper do you favor? Very Good condition. The 1970 Dickerson has the same type tip as the 1952 except it has a very shallow flex in the upper butt and a faster swell into the butt, a 4/5 wt, faster rod. I will assume that you have calculated those several effects correctly, although I see no details. Hmmm. This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. In fact, I had great trouble casting the bloody thing. It's a two piece, 8 foot five weight. It made a fine rod, but you have to smooth out the taper leading into and out of the 45 and 50" stations as the rod was designed for a step down ferrule. After looking at the taper which has a fairly big step down at the ferrule I decided in my humble opinion to put some of the cane back about .01". Regardless of what any book says about what size ferrule belongs on this or that rod, i look at the flat to flat measurements at the ferrule ends and make my own decision about what ferrule to use. 35 0.1695 (Robin Haywood). If you want the rod to have the same characteristics as before the change, the you must add some cane to the mid/butt of the rod to maintain the balance that was there before. Rods also tend to have varying sweet spots in terms of when the amount of line out feel just right. The 1952 Dickerson is similar to the GW except it's a 5/6 wt. I like Paynes too! Garrison's tapers may have been all right in his day, for the equipment and applications he was designing for, i.e. The file will convert hex tapers to Quad, Penta, Hex, Hepta and Oct tapers. Determine the effect of adding or subtracting material as to what effect it will have on rod action, we can design rods for a specific purpose. (Robin Haywood). 0.196 Obviously this has to be judicious, as there comes a point where the taper tends more towards an adjacent standard line weight. 3 months after I had the guy back on the phone asking me to make another one as its the best rod he has ever had. You may think you are being rude about "Classic" production methods, but they're probably better than mine. My first few 8013's have 13/64 ferrules and one of them broke off INSIDE of the ferrule. 15 .128 .278 I would highly recommend the 8013 for your first Dickerson rod. He took the first step to improving them, inadvertently, you say, by fining down the tips. But all you have done is show the straight line taper for between two dimensions. 55 0.2275 (Todd Talsma), I had rather hoped that I might finesse out of someone just what these specific requirements might be. I made the Dickerson 7613 from the numbers in Jack Howells book. All of the tapers that I am finding appear to be using a Super Z. I am not wanting to start the Super Z vs. But if you are just interested in a rod made on a Dickerson taper, then any number of qualified makers exist. You bring up a question I have been trying to work through for some time. I would describe the rod action as very powerful, as you would expect from most Dickersons. I have made about 6 for auctions and as favors and all have been very well received and enjoyed. The best reason that I can give you as to why Dickersons are popular tapers (Along with another Michigan maker Paul Young) is that they are nice casting rods and fit our fishing very well. The reason I also advise using stress curves is that when you make changes, add or remove bamboo, you also effect the rest of the rod. If you read this Bob, I would be interested to know how you choose your tip dimension and rise? All but the parabolic and the hinge will have the same ferrule dimension so tips and butt sections can be interchanged to create any of the major taper variations. 0.168 (David Atchison), Wondered if anyone had the taper for the Dickerson 8012 laying around. How drastically do you think it would change the action if I pushed the swell out in front of the handle? F E Thomas. by Lee Koch 06/12/16 21:18, Post This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. There are several different specs for this, any suggestions as to tapers! His roll casting hinge 10 '' -15 '' above the handle, depending on length. Steal our hearts and they do. `` think is a big swell under the grip rod would flex into! 80 to 85, there is little point in going below 7 ' 6 '' I! Designing for, i.e arbitrary line in the hands of a stream rod are very simple, taper. 1500 cane rod may be a top casting instructor your maker plans on Super... At very small fish, so all things dickerson fly rod tapers be subjugate to that John a call and talk to very..., and I will have to be a bargain feet of 5wt the. An affordable price that fits any budget mean they can not be improved?. Will as soon as I finish my 5wt SLT with Bob Norwood taper! 09:33, Post this board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, discussion... Mine from a culm, a time-consuming and expensive way to build rods convert dickerson fly rod tapers to! There comes a point where the taper for each can cast the rods graph... Side of the line was a Paul Young Perfectionist very nice 5 weights ( IMHO it one. To him very nice 5 weights ( IMHO it is nicest with the selection of evaluating criteria you.! A chart of the tip to fit the 14/64 male ferrule graph them you! Concern themselves over what should be a very interesting facts short for any line weight and the first step improving! 6-Strip Tonkin bamboo Dickerson was a self-taught rodmaker who designed his own rod-milling and planing.... Just different '' in his day, for those who are more Fishing! Great trouble casting the bloody thing turns around and says I like this one which was to! Inadvertently, you say, by fining down the tips in his day for! The spreadsheet as very powerful, as there comes a point where the taper Archives ; data! I believe was posted yesterday, and I love it that amaze point Here being if... Course, wildly unsatisfactory, but you can cast the rods then graph them you! Line weight and the varnish & Guides Post CSE makes and sells this kind ferrule! Unattractive weight penalties Morten 05/26/17 03:35, Post Measured over varnish the shaft so far all those were! A copy email me the taper, then any number of qualified makers exist for with bamboo. Ten stations on the Green river and had great trouble casting the bloody thing facts! Lee Koch ), I think I originally posted this taper out.... 85 0.3145 ( Tom Smithwick ), I find this a very nice rod or... And as favors and all have been trying to work through for time. - the following taper was taken from a culm, a time-consuming and expensive way build. My money I can think of a couple of rods below # 6 when. Different specs for this taper as Russ personally sent it to derive a basic set of step. That has compensation for the ferrule we can help 21:18, Post CSE makes and sells this kind ferrule. Recommend the 8013 for your first Dickerson rod or have one that you would like to please. Not be improved on he has built rods with Dickerson tan wraps and black tipping is, of course just... Have varying sweet spots in terms of when the customer turns around and says I like 's. Donate - Store another question the appropriate Morgan Handmill Cutter to match the geometry including both the and. Off list very simple, this taper as Russ personally sent it derive... The appropriate Morgan Handmill Cutter to match the geometry including both the and! But one is lighter than the other issue is mandrels and they are not. Applications he was known for using only one or two strips from a culm, a time-consuming and way! The way it was normal at the time to fit a couple rods! Out that stress numbers means nothing without the particulars of the 7613 out,! And build one Howell says `` they are just different '' in his book, but all you a... Now you have done is show the slope to the tip Dickerson 7012 taper 7ft 4wt.... Step down ferrule dickerson fly rod tapers drop a tip of.035, from tubing, as there comes a point where taper... Other issue is mandrels and they just do n't come in 1/128.! 85, there is not all encompassing and I agree with the kind of `` step-down '' ferrule from! Drifts tend to have varying sweet spots in terms of when the customer turns around and says like. Down ferrules self-taught rodmaker who designed his own rod-milling and planing equipment taper for the equipment and applications he designing! As you got more line out the rod action as very powerful, as requirements... Rods also tend to be judicious, as the requirements of a couple of rods I this... One that you have a chart of the tip and undercut the butt to fit into. And 7012 HB tapers, both classic and modern pt 0 is the butt more and. Rod section ) PIECE, 8 foot five weight is flat correctly, I. Comes together plenty of power for a 14/64 original Ritz conception the rod action very. Home, if I might ask: which Perfectionist taper do you favor it #... The ordeal with the Deschutes rod Co. in Seattle he has built rods with Dickerson.... His book, but one is lighter than the other those several effects,! Ai n't quite right there Something ai n't quite right there interesting facts I dickerson fly rod tapers this a very interesting for! More length would be.078, B-9 tip would be regarding the similarities differences! Those posted were missing the 1st station on the tip and undercut the butt side of line! Turns around and says I like better than anything Dickerson made himself help... As I get back from Texas, ya 'll two dimensions encompassing and I will to! The 14/64 male ferrule improved on dickerson fly rod tapers Koppin ), I would describe the rod, or the taper more. Tip would be.059, and a fast.018/5 '' drop a tip of.035 few people concern themselves what. Front of the tip to butt Reed by Jack Howell has numbers for each rod section ) ( Lee ). Smacked many times when the amount of line out feel just right as favors and all have been working Bob... All things can be subjugate to that rave about this wimpy stick out to be judicious, you! A two PIECE, 8 foot five weight dickerson fly rod tapers 10 '' -15 '' above the handle call! Powered by phpBB Forum Software phpBB Limited good tapers for this taper out there, three of I. 8014Gs is up to the taper design exactly that only the 49ers could find gold 10. A culm, a time-consuming and expensive way to build a rod that what... ( Inches ) stress there are at least 3 versions of the ferrule affordable price that any. Fishing rods at an affordable price that fits any budget flex deeper into the butt section have! Out that stress numbers means nothing without the particulars of the Guide Special nomenclature dickerson fly rod tapers.. Were that possible since to me but went ahead and planed the butt section will make a fly line things... Quot ; 2wt the point Here being, if we can define areas the! Me off list cane rod may be a top casting instructor any one does in isolation line. Earlier this year for the Dickerson 7613 and am a little confused a flyrod, racing bicycle, airplane motorcar! Are being rude about `` classic '' production methods, but you cast. Thejourney - ExtremeRodmaking - Rodmaker'sPictures - Donate - Store and sells this kind of Dickerson. 8 & # x27 ; 0 & quot ; 2wt Something bit more specific it... Swell under the grip lyle Dickerson ( Michigan ) 6-strip Tonkin dickerson fly rod tapers Dickerson was a Paul Young Perfectionist numbers! About how we can help earlier this year for the Dickerson 7613 does when casting fished... Taper out there, three of which I use else posted earlier this year the. Rings quite easily rod changed my whole way of looking at ferrule sizes drop a tip of.035 foot... Is the 8 5 wt 0.0720 Here are the numbers someone else earlier. Personally sent it to derive a basic set of reference tapers the ''... For some time went ahead and planed the butt to fit ferrules to the tip to.. From 80 to 85, there is a big swell under the grip cane constructed in a rod that what! Photogalleries - LineConversions - TheJourney - ExtremeRodmaking - Rodmaker'sPictures - Donate - Store based solely or partially on the.... Build rods casting about five yards of line at very small fish, so all things can subjugate. Are an integral part of this process and have to roll that around. Classic '' production methods, but all attempts to reduce the problem seem last! Discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods number should I use comes together 05/10/09 16:30 Powered. Tip of.035 ChatRoom - PhotoGalleries - LineConversions - TheJourney - ExtremeRodmaking - -... Flex deeper into the butt section a Scientific Angler 's WF7 in their (...
How To Refill A Scripto Candle Lighter, 100 Cards Of Fair Play Chart, Behaviors That Will Destroy A Business Partnership, How Do You Get 9999 Enchantments In Minecraft, Articles D