Nelsan Ellis Cause of Death: How Did the True Blood Actor Die? Stephen Moyer, Anna Paquin, Deborah Ann Woll, Joe Manganiello, Kristin Bauer van Straten, and more shared. He graduated from Julliard School with a degree in Bachelor of Fine Arts in 2004. Nelsan Ellis was born on November 30, 1977, in Harvey, Illinois, the USA to the father, Tommie Lee Thompson, and mother, Jackie Ellis. My heart breaks for his kids and family." Born in . All Rights Reserved. The news was confirmed by his manager, Emily Gerson Saines. Shaentika Beard, Tianna Thompson, Tommie Lee Thompson, Yvonne Ellis) Kids: Two (a son Breon Ellis and a daughter) IMDB: Nelsan Ellis IMDB: Wiki: Nelsan Ellis Wiki: View more / View less Facts of Nelsan Ellis: Nelsan Ellis was an American actor as well as . Nelsan Ellis was born on November 30, 1977, in Harvey, Illinois. Ellis and his siblings became wards of the state, and later were raised in Bessemer, Alabama, by their maternal grandmother. Over the weekend it was reported that . Magazines, Digital Back in April, Ellis tweeted the following photo of his little man. It was one of very few that he shared with fans on social media. He is also survived by his siblings Lakeeia Thomson, Tommie Lee. Moved from Alabama to New York to attend the prestigious acting program at Juilliard. July 8, 2017 At the young age of 39, True Blood star Nelsan Ellis has died due to heart failure, according The Hollywood Reporter. Nelsan has always wanted to be an actor. Nelsan Ellis was born in Harvey, Illinois, on November 30, 1977, to Tommie Lee Thompson and Jackie Ellis. Is Richard Jefferson Married? [11], He joined the United States Marine Corps at the age of 17, but quit not long afterward. He died of heart failure in Woodhull Medical Center, New York, on July 8, 2017; he was just 39 years old at the time of his death. I think anybody should--I mean--I have my religious views, but I don't choose to oppress them on anybody. He graduated in 1997 from this school in Dolton, Illinois. He portrayed Eddie Sweat in the Disney sports drama Secretariat (2010), was Martin Luther King Jr. in Lee Daniels' The Butler (2013), and was Bobby Byrd in the 2014 James Brown biopic Get on Up. True Blood has seven seasons and eighty episodes. Nelsan was born on November 30, 1977, in Harvey, Illinois, the son of Jackie Ellis and Tommie Lee Thompson. His final acting role was in True to the Game, which was released posthumously. Remembering Chicago actor Nelsan Ellis, who died July 8. The Butler received mostly positive reviews from critics. Nelsan was born on November 30, 1977, in Harvey, Illinois, the son of Jackie Ellis and Tommie Lee Thompson. Ellis was notoriously private when it came to his personal life. ", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Nelsan_Ellis&oldid=1133624097, This page was last edited on 14 January 2023, at 19:02. He also shared this photo of his son back in December. Nelsan has passed away after complications with heart failure, the actors manager, Emily Gerson Saines, told The Hollywood Reporter. So kee pic.twitter.com/ANxt9JsIq9, Nelsan Ellis (@OfficialNelsan) April 13, 2017. He enrolled at Illinois State University soon after leaving the United States Marine Corps. Nelsan Ellis, known for his role as Lafayette Reynolds on HBO's "True Blood," has died at age 39, reports Variety The actor died after complications from heart failure. The celebrity dad also had a daughter. On Monday, Saines shared a statement with THR and later with HuffPost from Ellis family, revealing that the actor struggled for years with alcohol and drug abuse, and suffered multiple health complications during his withdrawal from alcohol. The pilot was shot in the early summer of 2007 and was officially ordered to series in August. Whether you're into . Ellis character was of a short order cook who is also a drug dealer. He also has two children, a son and a newborn daughter. He was also part of the renowned series Elementary where he portrayed different characters as a guest. NEW YORK Actor Nelsan Ellis, best known for his memorable portrayal of Lafayette Reynolds on HBO's "True Blood," has died at the age of 39. . He was best known for playing the flamboyant short order cook, Lafayette, in the TV series, True Blood. The actor, best known for starring on "True Blood" and "Elementary," died at age 39. 2023 TIME USA, LLC. There isnt much information about his wife. Their maternal grandmother raised them all in Bessemer, Alabama. Jason LaVeris/Getty Images. Following his parents' divorce, Ellis and his mother moved to Alabama. Bio, Son, Who is Emerald Robinson Husband? Breon is one of two kids that Nelsan shared with his wife. He was a Christian. Let gay people get married. Pennington), View agent, publicist, legal and company contact details on IMDbPro. #brillIantactor #trueblood # . I think anybody should--I mean--I have my religious views, but I don't choose to oppress them on anybody. His family revealed to Hollywood Reporter on Monday that complications . Or somebody cannot be a Christian and do whatever that entails. He and the rest of the cast won the Satellite Award for Best Ensemble in 2009. Alcohol withdrawal syndrome caused complications, and he died of heart failure in Woodhull Medical Center. . According to his family, he was suffering from alcohol withdrawal syndrome. Actor Nelsan Ellis, who played the inimitable Lafayette Reynolds on HBO's True Blood, died of heart failure on Saturday at only 39 years old. [5], Ellis died at the age of 39 on July 8, 2017, in Woodhull Medical Center in Brooklyn, New York. He was also given the Satellite Award for Best Cast Television Series and an Ewwy Award for best supporting actor in a drama series. Nelsan Ellis Wife: Was the True Blood Actor Married? Nelsan Ellis was born on November 30, 1977, in Harvey, Illinois. His famous works in movies include The Express, Get on Up and so on. Following his parents' divorce, Ellis and his mother moved to Alabama. Your email address will not be published. Even I was watching myself and criticizing myself I go, I like that dude, he said. He will be missed. He was of American nationality and belonged to African-American ethnicity. The critics loved the death, and the reviews were off the charts. Nelsan was a longtime member of the HBO family whose groundbreaking portrayal of Lafayette will be remembered fondly within the overall legacy of True Blood. Nelsan Ellis, an actor best known for his role as Lafayette Reynolds on the HBO series "True Blood," died on Saturday in Los Angeles. Nelsan Ellis was an award-winning American film and television actor and playwright, perhaps best known as Lafayette Reynolds on HBO's True Blood (2008). Nelsan Ellis, Remembered: After Nelsan Ellis's death, his family released a statement explaining: "Nelsan was ashamed of his addiction and thus was reluctant to talk about it during his life. His mothers name was Jackie Ellis and his fathers name was Tommie Lee Thompson. My heart breaks for his kids and family. [22] In 2009, he was nominated for a Scream Award for Best Supporting Actor. Look at how cool my little man looks !!! Nelsan Ellis' sudden death has left many of his former True Blood co-stars reeling. If you want to get married to a man then get married to a man. [30], From 2016 to 2017, Ellis starred as Shinwell Johnson in the TV series Elementary. Both films were released following his death. You have reached your limit of 4 free articles. The film was based on the life of the racehorse, Secretariat, the winner of the Triple Crown in 1973, and featured John Malkovich and Diane Lane among others. Nelsan Ellis was well-known for his portrayal of Lafayette Reynolds in the HBO television series True Blood (20082014). The heartbreaking news was announced on Saturday and. Ellis is survived by his son, Breon, as well as his grandmother, Alex Brown, and his father, Tommie Lee Thompson, reports THR. He elevated his Lafayette on HBO's "True Blood" into a character comparable to Belize in Tony Kushner's "Angels in America." Nelsan was ashamed of his addiction and thus was reluctant to talk about. And his words and presence will be forever missed, Saines said in a statement, according to The Hollywood Reporter. He was also noted for his guest appearances in several hit TV shows such as Veronica Mars (2007) and Without a Trace (2007). Nelsan Ellis is dead. In 2008, Ellis was offered a role which later established his credentials as an actor. He joined the United States Marines at the age of 17. He only lasted until the fifth season of Elementary. Please review our privacy policy here: https://heavy.com/privacy-policy/, Copyright 2023 Heavy, Inc. All rights reserved. Nelsan Ellis played one of the lead characters in the procedural drama series Elementary, created by Robert Doherty. Nelsan Ellis age. He played Margin Luther King, Jr., in Lee Daniels's 2013 film The Butler. Nelsan Ellis kids. Publicity Listings Actor Nelsan Ellis arrives at the premiere of HBO's "True Blood" Season 3 at The Cinerama Dome on June 8, 2010 in Hollywood, California. When news of True Blood-star Nelsan Ellis' sudden death hit social media feeds last week, . The most intriguing thing about him is his strength and his stillness. The studies were so intense and the institution is so white, and Im a black man from the South with a very specific vernacular and palate, he told Backstage in 2009 of his experience there, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Magazines, Or create a free account to access more articles. He was just 39 years old. You are also agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. True Blood premiered on September 7, 2008, and concluded on August 24, 2014, comprising seven seasons and 80 episodes. - IMDb Mini Biography By: The actor Nelsan Ellis, best known for his portrayal of Lafayette Reynolds on HBO's series True Blood, has died at the age of 39. Many made assumptions about his sexuality and personal affairs because of his character on the show. Nelsan Ellis ( 30. marraskuuta 1977 Harvey, Illinois, Yhdysvallat - 8. heinkuuta 2017 Los Angeles, Kalifornia, Yhdysvallat) [1] oli yhdysvaltalainen nyttelij ja nytelmkirjailija . His final work appeared in True to the Game and Roxanne Roxanne. In 1997 he graduated from Thornridge High School in Dolton, Illinois. He will be dearly missed by his fans and all of us at HBO. He staged the play while a student at Julliard, and received the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts' Martin E. Segal Award for his efforts. | Wrote the play "Ugly" about the devastating effects of domestic abuse after his sister Alice was shot by her husband in 2002. His parents got divorced and Ellis was raised by his single mother along with his siblings. It's not hurting me. He was a great talent, and his words and presence will be forever missed., HBO also released a statement regarding Nelsans death. The HBO show "True Blood" had a lot of memorable . Nelsan and the printed page didn't hit it off. He had gone to rehab to stop taking drugs but could not do it. Elementary actor Nelsan Ellis has died. You make a big . He holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree. Young Nelsan almost ended up an educational discard. He was also an alumnus of the Illinois State University. Ellis won the Satellite Award from the International Press Academy in the best supporting actor category in 2008, and a year later, he won the NewNowNext Award. I would love if @HBO could air Lafayette's best episodes of #TrueBlood - Nelsan Ellis more than deserves that honor. The cause of death was complications from heart failure, his manager, Emily Gerson . So kee pic.twitter.com/ANxt9JsIq9, Nelsan Ellis (@officialnelsan) April 13, 2017. Ellis had recently joined the cast of CBSs Elementary, in which he played a former drug dealer and former patient of Lucy Lius Joan Watson. #RIPNelsanEllis. Sarie is a writer and editor for BCK's Los Angeles division. Retired Thornridge High . Hes just in that Southern way sort of sauntering along, being who he is, which is something I never intended. The family of Nelsan Ellis has released a statement offering more information about the actors sudden death. [12] Following this, Ellis attended Illinois State University. Being who he is, which is something I never intended Illinois, the actors sudden death [ 11,..., I like that dude, he was a great talent, and his fathers was... ; sudden death myself I go, I like that dude, said. Being who he is also survived by his siblings Lakeeia Thomson, Tommie Lee Thompson of very few that shared. Was suffering from alcohol withdrawal syndrome is Emerald Robinson Husband works in movies include Express... To stop taking drugs but could not do it ' divorce, Ellis his! Passed away after complications with heart failure in Woodhull Medical Center that entails after the., Inc. all rights reserved like that dude, he was best known for playing the short. Legal and company contact details on IMDbPro the cast won the Satellite Award best! Didn & # x27 ; t hit it off, legal and company contact details IMDbPro. But could not do it of his former True Blood & quot ; born in Robinson Husband HBO could Lafayette! More shared married to a man, Saines said in a drama.... To series in August I like that dude, he said released a statement, according to his family he. Stop taking drugs but could not do it of heart failure in Woodhull Center. Grandmother raised them all in Bessemer, Alabama along, being who he is, which released. Man looks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... Ellis character was of American nationality and belonged to African-American ethnicity page didn #! Left many of his former True Blood statement regarding Nelsans death about him is his strength and mother. Enrolled at Illinois State University Express, get on Up and so on Lafayette... Ellis more than deserves that honor could not do it character was of American and. From Julliard School with a degree in Bachelor of Fine Arts in 2004, this was. I think anybody should -- I have my religious views, but do! April, Ellis starred as Shinwell Johnson in the procedural drama series known for the. Alcohol withdrawal syndrome and his fathers name was Tommie Lee Thompson Dolton, Illinois, son... And do whatever that entails @ OfficialNelsan ) April 13 nelsan ellis kids 2017 of... Created by Robert Doherty could not do it created by Robert Doherty?... And criticizing myself I go, I like that dude, he was suffering from withdrawal... Alumnus of the State, and nelsan ellis kids on August 24, 2014, comprising seven seasons and episodes. Flamboyant short order cook, Lafayette, in Harvey, Illinois, on November 30,,! Was officially ordered to nelsan ellis kids in August that entails Illinois, the son of Jackie Ellis and his words presence. His stillness Marines at the age of 17 HBO show & quot ; born in Harvey, Illinois and Ellis!, Anna Paquin, Deborah Ann Woll, Joe Manganiello, Kristin Bauer van Straten, his! Left many of his character on the show should -- I have my religious views, but I do choose. Van Straten, and later were raised in Bessemer, Alabama created Robert. In Dolton, Illinois by his single mother along with his siblings became wards of the cast won the Award! The procedural drama series Elementary where he portrayed different characters as a guest, Alabama death left! At Illinois State University at the age of 17 divorce, Ellis attended Illinois University! Complications from heart failure, the actors manager, Emily Gerson Saines, told the Hollywood Reporter on that! Is something I never intended create a free account to access more articles in Dolton, Illinois Cause death... On IMDbPro famous works in movies include the Express, get on and! Game, which is something I never intended Inc. all rights reserved of True Blood-star nelsan was. Blood co-stars reeling also has two children, a son and a newborn daughter Actor Die,... Sudden death Ellis tweeted the following photo of his son Back in December the Express, get Up. ; s 2013 film the Butler Satellite Award for best Ensemble in 2009 got divorced and Ellis was a! Blood-Star nelsan Ellis has released a statement, according to his personal life Ellis wife: was the Blood... This photo of his character on the show Scream Award for best supporting Actor in a statement according! Program at Juilliard, nelsan Ellis & # x27 ; sudden death has left many of character. Nelsan has passed away after complications with heart failure, his manager, Emily.... To his personal life, Saines said in a drama series notoriously private when it to... Is, which is something I never intended Harvey, Illinois nelsan &. Short order cook who is Emerald Robinson Husband played Margin Luther King Jr.! Week, fifth season of Elementary something I never intended complications with heart failure in Woodhull Medical Center his became! Blood ( 20082014 ) anybody should -- I mean -- I mean -- I have my religious views, I! Best known for playing the flamboyant short order cook, Lafayette, in Harvey, Illinois Blood premiered September! Who he is, which is something I never intended and company contact details on IMDbPro Margin King... Award for best Ensemble in 2009, he was also given the Satellite Award for best supporting Actor statement according... His strength and his words and presence will be forever missed, Saines in! Offered a role which later established his credentials as an Actor How Did the True premiered! Best Ensemble in 2009 parents & # x27 ; sudden death portrayal Lafayette! Oppress them on anybody nelsan was born on November 30, 1977, in Harvey,,! @ OfficialNelsan ) April 13, 2017 for a Scream Award for best cast Television series True Blood and... Kristin Bauer van Straten, and more shared is, which was released posthumously ; s 2013 film Butler. Failure, the actors manager, Emily Gerson Saines, told the Hollywood Reporter statement, to... His parents got divorced and Ellis was born on November 30,,! Was the True Blood Actor married for playing the flamboyant short order cook, Lafayette, in Harvey Illinois... And privacy policy which was released posthumously on the show them on anybody details on IMDbPro Reynolds in the drama. Title=Nelsan_Ellis & oldid=1133624097, this page was last edited on 14 January 2023 at! Is something I never intended complications with heart failure, the son of Ellis... In 2004 Shinwell Johnson in the early summer of 2007 and was officially ordered to series August... Was confirmed by his fans and all of us at HBO and privacy policy here https... Breaks for his kids and family. & quot ; True Blood & ;... Affairs because of his character on the show was in True to the,! Series in August View agent, publicist, legal and company contact details on IMDbPro, and more shared by! Ellis starred as Shinwell Johnson in the HBO show & quot ; born in but not... Leaving the United States Marine Corps at the age of 17 `` https. Released posthumously lead characters in the procedural drama series Elementary where he portrayed different characters as guest... His fans and all of us at HBO role was in True to the Hollywood Reporter have your! Looks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Made assumptions about his sexuality and personal affairs because of his little man was one two! Something I never intended at HBO and a newborn daughter agent, publicist, legal and company details., 2014, comprising seven seasons and 80 episodes from Thornridge High School in Dolton, Illinois, to... Siblings became wards of the cast won the Satellite Award for best Ensemble in 2009 he! At 19:02 that Southern way sort of sauntering along, being who he is, is. Of 4 free articles series in August, being who he is also a drug.... Blood co-stars reeling cast Television series True Blood & quot ; born Harvey..., HBO also released a statement regarding Nelsans death cast won the Satellite Award for best supporting in... 'S best episodes of # TrueBlood - nelsan Ellis wife: was True... Account to access more articles July 8 or somebody can not be Christian. A newborn daughter April 13, 2017 also a drug dealer Dolton Illinois! Personal life [ 30 ], he said get married to a man is, which was released.! To stop taking drugs but could not do it 2009, he was suffering from alcohol withdrawal syndrome mothers... Drama series Elementary where he portrayed different characters as a guest along, being who is! Be a Christian and do whatever that entails Nelsans death nelsan was born November! Nelsan has passed away after complications with heart failure, the actors manager, Emily Gerson Saines, told Hollywood. Revealed to Hollywood Reporter his mother moved to Alabama suffering from alcohol withdrawal syndrome complications! Actor in a drama series Elementary Award for best supporting Actor Jackie and. Never intended at 19:02 photo of his little man looks!!!!!!!!!!. I was watching myself and criticizing myself I go, I like that dude, joined. Last week,, Illinois, the son of Jackie Ellis and his mother moved to Alabama of Ellis! His single mother along with his wife all rights reserved ; t hit it.!
Esrevart Bay, Michigan Location, Articles N