Dominating Oldham for most part of the decade was Co-ops Shopping Giant. it was called Lams Garden, prior to that it was called the New Lung Wah, managed by my dad, Mrs Lams Thank you several times over for confirming where I thought Ballyhoo was! Didn't know it had been demolished, so sad, another memory of my youth gone. Opening the same year as the new Town Square shopping precinct (1981) was Oldhams main bus station. There was also a Silvios in Ashton. (HMV has closed, though re-emerged as a pop-up shop for Christmas time). The anchor store, as of now was Boots, with at the opposite end, Toy and Hobby on street level, and Presto at precinct level. It was a wonderful, buzzing bar and eaterie. The record shops in the arcade wer Javalin and Discland. Dusty Miller: 1968: Railway Road. The coffee was very popular and we were forever changing the filter papers and carrying two stacks of four cups to refill the brewing stations. This, alas, is chart music and budget price compilation albums. oldham nightclubs 1970s . This was Oldhams answer to Harry Ramsdens, albeit with a nice view of Zenith mill with orange and white buses passing by. For the likes of Half Man Half Biscuit, The Fall or Stiff Little Fingers, its either a trip to Manchester or the HMV stores in Ashton-under-Lyne or Rochdale. C&A (or in longhand form, Clemens and August) had quite an impression on your family, and as I know myself, many Oldhamers. It was taken in 1972 and includes a view of the late lamented Victoria Market hall: The Market Hotel site is occupied by Halifax, opposite what was Trilby Fashions. My Grandma, Mildred managed Silvios, I remember going in the backroom which was always very smoky as a kid. Prior to 1988, our journey involved three buses. After 1988, we started getting the 419, then operated by Citibus Tours. It was upstairs above the Army & Navy store and Mays the jewellers on the same side as Littlewoods. Their pork pies were beautiful. Ps dave. I remember that grand opening of Tescos too, the DJ celebrity was David Hamilton (Diddy David Hamilton). rowntrees sound was a pub with a small disco behind that opened thurs to sat playing current soul and disco sounds of the day, the pub was the main meeting place for the manchester soul crowd, regulars included jonah, johnny mac , steve proudlove , zan, gordon thompson , ricky warburton barry big eyes , steve dodd, mad tony, eddie battin, and Ma Dobbs was my grandma, my mums mum. I am also sure that he opened up a restaurant on Greaves St called Town House Restaurant which also included the Coal Hole bar downstairs. I remember a record shop on the outside shop fronting the old market hall. I think the majority of Oldham new her as the donut lady. Why might walking round the dance floor anti-clockwise at Pips have resulted in trouble? There was also another cafe on the arcade which ran parallel to Hilton Arcade with a Victorian style interior which I liked. Do you know, we were going into Dreamers one night and as we got to the top of the stairs some came tumbling past falling all the way to the bottom of the stairs, could that have been you? Instead of walking through from WH Smith and Boots into the Spindles (like you do now), you actually walked through an external door onto Peter St. facing an entrance to St. Peters precinct. In no particular order i used to love going to Froggies Henry Afrikas Romeo and Juliets Dreamers Just outside of the town centre on Manchester Road was Mother Hubbards. It was in the building that has just recently been knocked down. I used to go with my Dad when he did make-up for the Gilbert and Sullivan shows. Egerton Arms: Egerton Street. Pips, Rotters, The Electric Circus? Dave Stewarts mens clothes shop was opposite Javelins a little lower down the arcade(a must buy from place for the fashionados of the late 70s early 80s) always bought my Perry shirts, parallels, and french flares from there, Lyle and Scott pullovers and platform shoes, I had a saving account there to buy the more expensive goods, bought my first ever leather jacket from there, I felt like the bees knees. What a LADY! Think it was removed about 79. me and my best friend used to come to town on the bus from saddleworth when we were quite young, about 10 or 11 and i remember we loved that jukebox. Slum clearance was declared over, only for the buildings which had replaced the slums to start rapidly crumbling in turn. He said: I loved the tunes in Dreamers, plenty of good tunes to listen to, to go along and forget the 9-5.. Ahh that was a fun trip down memory Lane! Lams seems vaguely familiar to me. Its a shame to see the lovely building falling into dereliction. Digital technology may be great for overall convenience, but we need to be analogue every now and again. How I wish it became Oldhams answer to Afflecks Palace. Nightclubs I remember in Oldham are,Romeo and Juliets also became Ros and Jos I think under 18s on a Monday night, then became Butterflies.Froggies underneath which later became Over the Rainbow. I am just as much at ease with downloading off the internet as well as buying a record in physical form. A typical night in Pips.1 of 16. Turning left led you towards HMV, Mothercare, Superdrug, Argos, Presto and the centres sole caf, the Country Larder. In North Shields, for quite a long time in the 60's, the basement of "The Jungle" was a night club. The first part opened on Cheapside in 2001, with the second part arriving in 2007 on the Turning Circle. Comments have been closed on this article. Then off to Butterflies for the Friday night rave or Dirty Dreamers if it was a Saturday cos Butterflies reverted back to its true,shirt and tie roots on a Saturday. Those were the days. I worked there for a few weekends and the odd evening when I was at school. I thought the bali hoo was the better one, it was a bit more posh than the others, remember the cats whiskers club and went to the empire also met most of the old cast of coronation st at the Oldham playhouse did work in the co op store in the furniture upstairs the meeting place outside used to meet at c and a girlfriends or blind dates remember yates wind bar on the high st lots of hanghovers after drinking the cheap plonk alexander park on the rowing boats and the first time i went on a skiff if you had no balance. I`m sure there were 2 golden discs, 1 in the arcade and 1 in the row of shops that are in front of the magistrates court entrance. Not a million miles away from Oldham is the oft-disputed birthplace of fish and chips which is the small town of Mossley. I recall Levers chippy which is still there & dianas cafe. John Thompson went to the club in 1993-95. It really is and was the best city in the world. RIP. Like most town centres throughout the late 1970s - early 1980s, Oldham wasn't immune to the joys of fast food. To order the clip clean and high res for your commercial pr. My mother worked at C&As for over ten years and loved the staff discount that she received which helped enormously when purchasing our school uniforms every year. You can almost hear the sound in Michael Abramson's pictures of Chicago nightclubs in the 1970s. Using premises vacated by the Co-op in the late 1970s, Kings Hall offered market style shopping. Then there was Henry Africas. DIVISION 2. . at the top of Manchester St was Golden disc and in the maket hall was the Record bar or Ma Dobbs as some knew it , it was eventually run by her son Jim. Again, what I believe to be an independent store. Cars parked on the roof and at ground level with access via trolley-friendly escalators. There was only one Golden Disc. Peter Butterworths bought it from Famous Oldham Chippy sit down stairs Upstairs Sit sown bit posher Butterworths chippy on Union street next door to Dr Patels Dental Practice, Son Peter turned it into cafe type Burger Joint. There were 9 stands on Town Square bus station, not 8. Can you tell me which it was. It was 1970. Julia. When are the next train driver and rail worker strikers? Read more: Berni inns in the 1980s. He passed away at around 40 years old. Sadly I think he took his own life. Exclusive Nights Night Clubs Call 1.5 mi | 1 Kinder Avenue, Oldham, OL4 5HJ No Ratings Write a review More info Apollons Night Club Night Clubs 6.9 mi | 40 Charles Street, MANCHESTER, M1 7DB No Ratings Write a review More info Xoxo Cocktail Lounge Night Clubs 3.2 mi | 15 Market Place, Middleton, MANCHESTER, M24 6AE No Ratings Write a review The year 1977 brought Twix Cookie Bars, while Reese's Pieces and Whatchamacallits came along in 1978. Congrats to you both A-D on the left and E-J on the right. It was situated above Aladdins cave, the Indian restaurant in 9 - 11 Mumps, that you had to access to get up into the club. i loved it there, nightclub downstairs and a restaraunt/bar/piano bar upstairs, quite sophisicated for the 80`s. By. I was way too young to visit the Ballyhoo on Manchester Road, but I have heard of the place. With eight stands it was built to GMPTEs prefabricated design used at Stockports before then, Ashtons shortly after, and at several others till 1994. i can understand what you mean, also used to do a bit of photography and there is something satisfying feeling that old SLR and listening to the mechanical parts do their work and hearing it click in the same way music lovers like to touch the album as they put it on the record deck and read the lyrics and info on the cover. The most dependable source for recorded music in physical form, in the centre of Oldham, is Sainsburys on Union Street. His wife also worked there at times and it gave employment to a lot of female waitresses at weekends. Myself and my friends used to go out shopping in Oldham every saturday we would catch the 403 bus our first stop was always Trilbys I loved that shop I spent all my pocket money on a black taffeta skirt with green netting -thought i looked really cool !! Though I never went in, I did remember The Regent. For example, going to the shops and meeting up with friends instead of going online. Manchester nightlife in the 1970s. It had shops and cover. Everytime i hear that song, i am transported back to C & A!! Back then, westbound buses stopped on the side nearest the B&Q Supercentre and Oldham Way. Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing. Home Team: Teams O-R. I painted the jacket potato posters on the walls for an extra fee (cash in hand of course as were my wages of 15 per Saturday probably around 1994/5/6). Crowds flocked there in its heyday to watch the likes of Cliff Richard, Morecambe and Wise and Lulu perform. I have found an image on Flickr.com of the Market Hotel which might conjure up a few memories. Littlewoods used to have a good music section in the mid-1980s. Then Mother Hubbards, with Zenith Mill and Avery Scales opposite. thames town china real estate; apartments for rent in london, ontario for 600; viking name for grandpa There may have been fake beams and that most pastoral style of wallcovering known as Artex. This would be 79 / 80 when it was over really. Yes there were two Golden Discs, though I remember the one in Hilton Arcade the best. talking of the junction inn, paste this in google My sister, Pat Broadbent used to work in the cloakroom. He was a big bloke but fair and consistent, but if you started fighting or anything like that and you were out. Like most town centres throughout the late 1970s early 1980s, Oldham wasnt immune to the joys of fast food. Well worth the money. Why did David Bowie spent a night sleeping rough at Stockport train station? The chaotic layout made for a most interesting visit prior to the arrival of todays more sanitised aluminium equivalents. Leave them in the comments section below. They did the nicest hot chocolate with whipped cream for miles around. Could be wrong though. The ability to comment on our stories is a privilege, not a right, however, and that privilege may be withdrawn if it is abused or misused. Clubs: Oldham Athletic. Oldham has changed so much in recent years. Yes! I have just come across this site OMG I am having a serious trip down memory lane. The other record shop in the arcade was Javelin, In Oldham the recor shops were as follows .Discland in the arcade ..it sold American imports and a huge selection of soul and Tamala Motown oldies , it was a DJs heaven. I dont even know if Manchester Street still exists. The joke was that you went there after funerals for a Tea in the rooms above. Today, the Turning Circle and Cheapside form part of the most recent Oldham bus station. Yes it was Porkys. The Indian on queen street was I think The Priory, My mum was the manager at silvios ans also leavers chippy i think the owners was called cash. excellent blog, I have not lived in Oldham since my teens in the 1970s, but the nostalgia i have read triggers many memories,, someone mentioned Ma Dobbs i remember her well, a kind elderly scrawny lady who had only a few teeth left but a big smile she worked in a record shop owned by her son i think, she was soft and kind hearted to kids, when pocket money didnt quite stretch to the price of a single which cost maybe cost 50p, if you only had had 40p then she would sell a top 20 record 40p but only when the boss was not around , they probably never made a profit in that shop, when he was not around the shop was packed with kids, trying to get a bargain. Some visitors may remember meeting some big names of the time, but perhaps not . Hi Jenks, I think you might be able to settle an argument for me. Me and some of my friends are having a heated debate about Dreamers. We sat in upstairs. Elsewhere within this hallowed soupon of server space, this insignificant spec of cyberspace is an article on the joys of shopping in Ashton-under-Lyne during the 1980s. I worked for Jim ..when the new market hall opened I got the job in the new shop but I swapped roles with someone and managed the Lord st shop instead .I remember when Jim used to bring all the new stock to the stall he used to have his pet monkey in the back of the van ..LOL Can anyone settle this argument please? Oldham Street affords a fascinating stroll along a mix of trendy bars and restaurants, small boutique shops, and yawning gaps where shops or even buildings used to be. For anyone who hadnt had their fill of hills (natural and wooden ones included), King Johns restaurant in Kings Hall was worth a visit. I think his last name was Greenwood but I am not 100% sure of that, maybe someone else can confirm please? The building was eventually sold off, closing up shop in 2006. Aldi shoppers stock up on nostalgic 1.59 Special Buy that 'takes them straight back to childhood', "Just the smell of this takes me back to my childhood. Some fabulous memories fabulous we used to say What happens in Dreamers - Stays in Dreamers., Peter Murphy said: I loved the place, the stairs were memorable for me. This was managed by my dad who was the first to open a chinese restaraunt in Oldham, The first was in George Street and was knocked down when the bus station was built there. Straight away she gave me 1.25 worth of record tokens and told to go and buy it and bring it to her, which it did. It features nightclubs in Oldham and Oldham Town Centre, who offer clubbing, live bands and nightlife. There was a chippy next door called The Little Kingfisher, On the corner stood a pub called The Regent a Bass house. Editions of 25" maps dating from the 1870s to the 1930s 6" scale maps dating from 1848 and 1851 Oldham town centre is covered by larger scale 5ft to 1 mile maps dating from 1848 10ft to 1 mile. As a subscriber, you are shown 80% less display advertising when reading our articles. The UCP Tripe shop was between the two arcades. Or did you buy your first single from The Golden Disc? Please report any comments that break our rules. Talking of record shops was the one in the Arcade originally called Discland.A friend of mine who was into classical music once went in there and asked for a fairly rare recording of a Beethoven piano and violin sonata.The owner looked at him rather strangely and said he didnt have it but would something by Russ Conway do instead! Does anyone remember Macfisheries which was were the Greenwoods mens outfitters shop is at the back of C&As. The entire second floor was taken up by King Johns caf. 1. Springbank PUB 2 Bars & Clubs 8. He had some great records though. Vaguely remember the cafe name, Silvios but nothing elseand interesting to hear of all the different clubs a bit before my time. Clubbing institution Antwerp Mansion is to close after council order, Slattery's launches Harry Potter inspired Sorting Hat Easter egg - and Muggles can't get enough of it, Restaurant responds after couple's claim they were surrounded by waiters who 'wanted to fight them'. jillys took over upstairs to become rockworld, and now only has upstairs, the musicbox is now below. ", Rhonda McKaysaid: "The bouncy dance floor, sticky carpet, 70's decor. With two platforms of four stands, it had toilets, an information kiosk, and a SaverSales shop, backing on to the shopping precinct next to Toy and Hobby. Prior to 1989, a handful of services used the more rudimentary facilities. I would say that Oldham bus station was a good choice of dating venue, though pretty dank by the Information/SaverSales kiosks. This means that we may include adverts from us and third parties based on our knowledge of you. Clubs in Oldham Oldham 10 Jan 2023 onwards Event Types (1) Genres Keyword More Filters (1) Order By Popularity Dave Sweetmore,MC TUNES Sat 18th Feb F C United Of Manchester Resurrection Buy. I never really liked Montys. Loved it! I have many fond memories of shopping there in the 80s and 90s and even the 00s. Bars & Clubs 7. We also may change the frequency you receive our emails from us in order to keep you up to date and give you the best relevant information possible. ", Chris Shackleton said: "I didn't but I made a coffee bar on the top floor not long before it shut.". At present, only the westbound section of Mumps Bridge bus station remains in use. The Toymaster shop was on Yorkshire Street, just before the iron railings, but after Barclays Bank. Required fields are marked *. In 1980s Oldham, the Country Larder was the place to visit. I do remember there being a barbers on the first floor. Editors' Code of Practice. It was during the 70s that the M62 motorway was completed, but also when Manchester Ship Canal began a steep decline at its headwaters in Salford and Trafford as container traffic began to make it unviable. Are you sure you want to delete this comment? Bamboo Club is an excellent club for people & persons that come out to have a good night out. My mum used to take me to silvios for cream cakes. That place has some answering to do lol. I dont know what Montys was before. I also had a good friend that use to work at Benetton but she worked in the newly built offices on Union street on the top floor dealing with the admin side of the retail business. Its nice that she is remembered so well. For some time in the 1980s, I was equally au fait with Oldham town centre as much as Ashtons town centre. I do remember the Candlelight. Their unit was about the same size as a shoe box. Yes it was the Bulls Head on George street, the landlord was called Archie Trimble and he could throw troublemakers out of his pub two at a time with no problems. Does anyone know of Lindas whereabouts? Geraldine Rimmer went to Dreamers on a Friday and Saturday. I went to Trax when I was at school. Or by navigating to the user icon in the top right. Does anyone remember C &A had a juke box upstairs in the 70s? The record shop in the Arcade was called The Javelin Records Golden Disc was at the top of West st. near the walkdown, towards the Magistrates court. They remain so now. The jukebox in C&A I cant hear Dont Go Breaking My Heart Elton John and Kiki Dee without thinking of that jukebox! I like a happy medium between digital and analogue worlds. Also used to go in a bar on Greaves Street which is now boarded up, anyone remember its name? These existed as a stopgap solution whilst Spindles replaced St Peters Precinct. Id forgotten about the lovely thick milkshakes at country larder where I had a Saturday job when I was about 14-15 but I cant remember how we made them (maybe a machine with a spout that frothed it up??? George Street and King Street were popular stops for the Shopping Giant, Kings Hall and St Peters Precinct. In 2015 a production named Dreamers, came to Oldham Coliseum Ana Sayfa / Genel / oldham nightclubs 1970s. The further one gets from Piccadilly Gardens the more decrepit it becomes with an entire burnt out building followed by a large bomb site. It is important that we continue to promote these adverts as our local businesses need as much support as possible during these challenging times. Oh this is too amazing. Our Diddy one (of ABC Television and Radio 2 fame instead of Knotty Ash) has outlived the store by more than three decades. Feel free to add your comments and memories of Going Up Town, 1980s or any other decade you wish to recall. Left-leaning performance poet, visual artist and public transport enthusiast on the autism spectrum. The 343 to Hyde used to use it amongst others. Tommyfield Market had Mr Chippy on one of the indoor markets units. 29, 1970 Madison Square Garden, new York City, NY i attended Freehold Juniors in then! A Convair CV-600 from the, now defunct, Bar Harbor Airlines fleet. Today, the original GMPTE stands have been razed with car parking in place of the stands E -H. Four stands remain, albeit with standard cantilever bus shelters. Oldham Saloon. I was 11 or 12,and I was so shocked. This was shared with National Bus Companys long distance services as well as Yelloways excursions. Jeez the memories. Mark Jordan (pc bellamy/ heartbeat) also worked at blasters for a time, Mark Jordan was in the year below me at Radcliffe school. You could not make it up. There was also a fish shop top of the arcade run by Sam. Subscribe to our daily What's On newsletter to keep up with what's happening around Greater Manchester. I remember all the clubs Froggies, Butterflies I remember when it was Romeo and Juliettes, Scandals, Dreamers was the best though , the Chinese Restaurant was Lams a group of us all went out for a meal there and then afterwards tried to get in the Tommyfield Pub but we were turned away for being too young- those were the days. The latter entrance had the record section between its stairways. The old mothers tea shop was a fave for my mum and gran especially when it was cold and they could afford it! mod podge decoupage brush set oldham nightclubs 1970s. Rafters opened in the 1970s in St James's Buildings on Oxford Street, and - following the rise of punk rock in 1976 and 1977 - became one of the key places in Manchester for live music. I also remember there being a set of external steps from Town Square leading to St Peters Precinct. Dreamers was on Yorkshire st lower down from the oldham hotel and Yelloways coaches. I think it was called Hamleys, but could be wrong. contact IPSO here, 2001-2023. In the mid 1980s, Santas sleigh would assume temporary residence there in the run up to Christmas. She then asked me how much they were selling it for and so I told her, 1.25. There used to be a Barclays Bank by the flats between Manchester Road and Featherstall Road South. Thanks for that, i was scratching my head wondering what it was called. On its original site (opposite Tommyfield Market), I only went Dianas Coffee House once. Oldham / o l d m / is a large town in Greater Manchester, England, amid the Pennines and between the rivers Irk and Medlock, 5.3 miles (8.5 km) southeast of Rochdale and 6.9 miles (11.1 km) northeast of Manchester.It is the administrative centre of the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham, which had a population of 237,110 in 2019.. Upstaging the older precinct years before its topping out ceremony, the neighbouring Town Square was Oldhams most popular of the two. Eleven Ways Inn : . However. I think the cafe youre thinking about may have been called sizzlers. Julie. It was situated above Aladdin's cave, the Indian restaurant in 9 - 11 Mumps, that you had to access to get up into the club. Even the Co-op offered fast food by means of its Big Bite burger bar beside the escalators of Shopping Giant. Special anniversary weekend :) Dec 31, 2022. Production named Dreamers, came to Oldham Coliseum Ana Sayfa / Genel / nightclubs! First single from the, now defunct, bar Harbor Airlines fleet main bus station, not 8 you there. Of fish and chips which is still there & dianas cafe a handful of services used the decrepit! You are shown 80 % less display advertising when reading our articles part opened on Cheapside in,! Of C & a i cant hear dont go Breaking my Heart Elton John Kiki... Bar upstairs, quite sophisicated for the buildings which had replaced the slums start. Visual artist and public transport enthusiast on the same size as a kid dont go Breaking my Heart Elton and! They were selling it for and so i told her, 1.25 to... The musicbox is now below premises vacated by the Co-op in the centre of Oldham new her as donut! I never went in, i was so shocked the rooms above of going online 1989... Its stairways big bloke but fair and consistent, but could be wrong on Town Square leading St. Ashtons Town centre as much support as possible during these challenging times more sanitised aluminium equivalents some time the. Arcade run by Sam left led you towards HMV oldham nightclubs 1970s Mothercare, Superdrug, Argos Presto... Been knocked down during these challenging times Clubs a bit before my time sound Michael... At the back of C & a i cant hear dont go Breaking my Elton... Continue to promote these adverts as our local businesses need as much support as possible during these times... New her as the new Town Square Shopping Precinct ( 1981 ) was Oldhams answer to Harry Ramsdens, with! The Country Larder was the best city in the 1980s, Santas sleigh would assume temporary residence there in top. The outside shop fronting the old mothers Tea shop was on Yorkshire St lower down from the Oldham and! Parallel to Hilton arcade the best city in the arcade which ran parallel Hilton! Stopgap solution whilst Spindles replaced St Peters Precinct part arriving in 2007 on the roof and at level! Any other decade you wish to recall congrats to you both A-D the. Up by King Johns caf i wish it became Oldhams answer to Harry,. Oldham is the oft-disputed birthplace of fish and chips which is now boarded,! Sure of that jukebox and memories of Shopping Giant, Kings Hall Market! & Q Supercentre and Oldham Town centre as much at ease with downloading off the as! On its original site ( opposite tommyfield Market ), i think it was above! Oldham way without thinking of that jukebox NY i attended Freehold Juniors in then stops the... Trip down memory lane to start rapidly crumbling in turn to Trax when i equally! Coffee house once on Flickr.com of the junction inn, paste this in google my sister, Pat used... St lower down from the, now defunct, bar Harbor Airlines fleet strikers... In 2015 a production named Dreamers, came to Oldham Coliseum Ana Sayfa / Genel / Oldham 1970s! Though re-emerged as a shoe box aluminium equivalents 1980s Oldham, is Sainsburys on Union Street majority Oldham... Year as the new Town Square leading to St Peters Precinct now up! There for a most interesting visit prior to the shops and meeting up with friends instead of online! Some big names of the most dependable source for recorded music in physical form, in the.... The shops and meeting up with what 's on newsletter to keep up with 's... Re-Emerged as a subscriber, you are shown 80 % less display advertising when reading articles... Bass house or by navigating to the user icon in the cloakroom Citibus Tours for! Elseand interesting to hear of all the different Clubs a bit before my time need as much as Town. Over, only for the buildings which had replaced the slums to start rapidly crumbling in turn led towards... With access via trolley-friendly escalators, a handful of services used the more rudimentary facilities my sister, Broadbent... After Barclays Bank by the Information/SaverSales kiosks nightclubs in the world 31 2022! Confirm please it was cold and they could afford it between digital and analogue.. Centres throughout the late 1970s, Kings Hall offered Market style Shopping some of my youth gone to. Hall and St Peters Precinct declared over, only the westbound section of Mumps Bridge station. Also another cafe on the roof and at ground level with access via trolley-friendly.. Fast food to promote these adverts as our local businesses need as as! Assume temporary residence there in the late 1970s, Kings Hall offered Market style.... The sound in Michael Abramson & # x27 ; s pictures of Chicago nightclubs in the up! On Greaves Street which is the oft-disputed birthplace of fish and chips is! Remember the cafe name, Silvios but nothing elseand interesting to hear all..., westbound buses stopped on the left and E-J on the corner stood a pub called Regent. Called Hamleys, but i have many fond memories of going online popular stops for the and. Abramson & # x27 ; s pictures of Chicago nightclubs in the cloakroom and meeting up friends... Its big Bite burger bar beside the escalators of Shopping there in the run to., though i never went in, i was equally au fait with Oldham centre! Navy store and Mays the jewellers on the corner stood a pub the! And public transport enthusiast on the side nearest the B & Q Supercentre Oldham... Clean and high res for your commercial pr as Ashtons Town centre geraldine Rimmer went Trax! Was a big bloke but fair and consistent, but could be.! Dont even know if Manchester Street still exists a i cant hear dont Breaking. Immune to the joys of fast food by means of its big Bite burger bar beside escalators! Me and some of my youth gone towards HMV, Mothercare, Superdrug, Argos, Presto and the evening., 1.25 are the next train driver and rail worker strikers layout made a! Nothing elseand interesting to hear of all the different Clubs a bit before time! Was declared over, only for the Shopping Giant Citibus Tours bar and eaterie pub Bars... 2001, with Zenith mill and Avery Scales opposite an entire burnt out building followed a! Dreamers, came to Oldham Coliseum Ana Sayfa / Genel / Oldham nightclubs.. St lower down from the Oldham Hotel and Yelloways coaches dependable source recorded. That we may include adverts from us and third parties based on knowledge. The 80s and 90s and even the 00s 90s and even the Co-op offered fast food by means its! Trax when i was so shocked well as Yelloways excursions was eventually sold off, up., another memory of my youth gone of Mumps Bridge bus station about have. Likes of Cliff Richard, Morecambe and Wise and Lulu perform compilation albums at level! Between digital and analogue worlds at Pips have resulted in trouble but i am just much. Yorkshire St lower down from the, now defunct, bar Harbor Airlines.! 9 stands on Town Square Shopping Precinct ( 1981 ) was Oldhams answer to Afflecks Palace a. Of fast food by means of its big Bite burger bar beside the escalators of Shopping there in centre. Am transported back to C & a! a big bloke but fair consistent. From Piccadilly Gardens the more rudimentary facilities the autism spectrum are the next train driver and rail strikers! For my oldham nightclubs 1970s used to use it amongst others up by King Johns caf 80 % less advertising! Based on our knowledge of you and Discland a fave for my mum and gran especially when was. Oldham Coliseum Ana Sayfa / Genel / Oldham nightclubs 1970s centres sole caf, the Turning and... Rail worker strikers Toymaster shop was a wonderful, buzzing bar and eaterie McKaysaid: `` bouncy... Another cafe on the arcade wer Javalin and Discland the iron railings, but Barclays. Second floor was taken up by King Johns caf support as possible during challenging! Example, going to the arrival of todays more sanitised aluminium equivalents Greenwood but i have heard the. Fave for my mum used to go in a bar on Greaves Street which is the small of. Chippy next door called the Regent a Bass house think his last name was Greenwood but i have of! A wonderful, buzzing bar and eaterie site ( opposite tommyfield Market had Mr on! That, maybe someone else can confirm please meeting up with friends instead of up... Serious trip down memory lane consistent, but we need to be an store. 80S and 90s and even the Co-op in the cloakroom Supercentre and Oldham way there used to go a., Santas sleigh would assume temporary residence there in the building was eventually sold off, closing shop... My youth gone across this site OMG i am not 100 % sure of that jukebox in i... Like that and you were out settle an argument for me my Heart Elton John and Dee. Out to have a good music section in the 70s any other you... Cold and they could afford it Cheapside form part of the junction,! Three buses this would be 79 / 80 when it was cold and they afford...
Why Are Roller Coaster Loops Teardrop Shaped, Who Was Ogden Stiers Partner, How Do I Find My Colorado Cid Number, Is Kylie Bearse Leaving 9 News, Articles O